iva and child disability
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dawnlougib
Just Joined

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  22:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i am currently in an iva and my son and daughter have just both started to receive disability allowence. I am very worried that the iva will try to use their money to pay my creditors.
All their money is used up as they do alot of after school clubs and i have travel costs to appointments and it is also used to put a little aside should they need anything else.
I am worried that the creditors will say that they are could stop doing some of their clubs and the money given to them, which i will not allow.
I wanted to also add that my sole income is benefits and have even made a bankruptcy date as i feel that strongly about it but have now been informed that because the iva hasn't failed i cannot declare myself bankrupt.

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

611 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  22:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello dawnlougib.

Disability living allowance is paid to cover the additional costs associated with a condition.

When you declare this additional household income to your IVA supervisor be sure to specify also what these additional costs are.

You are correct that bankruptcy isn't currently an option for you.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:       
Go to Top of Page

Sue Clay
IVA Expert

218 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  23:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to terminate the IVA, believing that bankruptcy is a better optin for you, you can simply advise your IP of this fact and then proceed to file for bankruptcy. Your IP ought to issue you with a Certificate of Termination which may be required by the Court before they will grant a bankruptcy order.

How long have you been in your IVA, and why did you choose this as the most appropriate solution at the time? DLA should not be included in your disposable income as that money ought to be entirely used to fund the additional expenditure involved in caring for your children.

I am an Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases. To contact me about starting an IVA please:       
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IVA Forum © 2011 - 2014 www.ivaadviceforum.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
IVA Advice Forum – IVAAdviceForum.co.uk. All rights reserved.
© Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Data Protection Registration: Z13327250.
Please note that all telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.